Yesterday, I read this little gem from Sarah Palin in the Washington Post.
“In my opinion any mandate coming from government is not a good thing,” Palin told reporters outside Bunker Hill in Massachusetts, the latest stop on her whirlwind bus tour up the east coast that began on Sunday.
She sure covered a lot of ground in one short sentence. All government mandates are bad if she’s to be believed. All of them. Not just the Romney approved mandate that all Massachusetts residents must have health insurance. ALL mandates.
I don’t think Mrs. Palin understands what the word mandate means outside of the healthcare argument because if she did, she might think fondly of these 25 government mandates that beneficially affect her personally:
- Title IX that ensures female students equal access to school sports
- The 1st Amendment that allows freedom hold events, that the press can attend, where one can profess faith, and criticize the government, all with no fear of official retribution
- OSHA regulations for sterile environments in hospital maternity wards
- Workplace safety laws for commercial fishermen
- Auto safety standards that apply to commercial vehicles like charter buses
- Prohibitions on murder
- Prohibitions on theft of personal property
- Prohibitions on rape
- Prohibitions on assault
- Banking regulations that require financial institutions insure deposits by customers
- The Alaska Statehood Act
- Training regulations for air traffic controllers who guide planes safely through the air
- The Americans With Disabilities Act that prohibits discrimination against those with disabilities such as Down Syndrome
- The Individuals With Disabilities Education Act that guarantees public education for those with disabilities such as Down Syndrome
- The Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act that prohibits wage discrimination based on gender
- Licensing regulations that protect patients from untrained physicians
- Food safety regulations
- Drug safety regulations
- Building codes
- Equal employment standards
- Child labor laws. Oh wait. I bet those got in the way of filming her reality series with her kids. Never mind.
- The right to civil trial
- Laws that give women the right to own property separate from their
- Anti-miscegination statutes that make it permissible for people to marry regardless of race, including Native Alaskan heritage
- The 19th Amendment that requires all jurisdictions to allow women to vote