I don’t have any subjects burning a hole in my brain right now so I thought I’d engage in a little blog-sturbation and just talk about myself. Enjoy! Or ignore! Your choice.
1) Once, a gay Republican described my appearance as “straight-laced”. True story.
2) I hate putting away laundry. I don’t mind washing, drying or folding laundry but putting it away really bugs me.
3) If I could meet any famous person, I think I’d choose Madeleine Albright.
4) I didn’t start drinking coffee until I was 24 years old. It was about a week after I’d quit smoking and I’d gotten the call that I was going to have to go on in a role I’d been understudying. I wanted to go to 7-11 to get a Coke for a caffeine jolt to help me run lines and I asked my roommate to come with me to stop me from buying cigarettes. She took me to Starbucks instead and got me a caramel macchiato. I was hooked. The problem was caramel macchiatos were more expensive than cigarettes so I had to break my addiction to those in order to realize the cost saving benefits of being a non-smoker.
5) My favorite move is M*A*S*H.
6) Some of the best advice I’ve ever gotten was passed on to me by my mother who heard it from her father. It’s “Sometimes the screwing you get ain’t worth the screwing you get.” I always thought that Bill Clinton could have used that advice.
7) I think I still know all the lyrics to “Jesus Christ Superstar” from being in it at youth group when I was in 8th grade.
8) I always genuinely liked the work of Jeff Koons but I find I enjoy it even more now that I know my brother-in-law hates his stuff.
9) I hate U2.
10) I really, really enjoy the process of applying make-up. I used to put on make-up on days when I was planning to spend all day in my apartment writing my masters thesis. No one saw me except my cat. But somehow that ritual of putting on make-up made me feel more ready to work than I would have if I’d just brushed my teeth and sat down at the computer.
11) I’m terrible with names. This is especially a problem at daycare because I can’t remember the names of some of the other parents.
12) I wish I had a Subaru wagon instead of my two-door Civic. But my Civic runs and I can’t justify taking on a car payment.
13) I’m really bad at any kind of graphic design, even basic stuff like making documents look good using Publisher. This does not stop my boss from asking me to make elaborate documents. I suspect it’s because as bad as I am at this, he’s even worse.
14) I have no desire to ever visit Asia and it’s mostly because I dislike most Asian food.
15) I saw the original company of “Rent” on the last day of Broadway previews. It was wonderful and I’ve never been able to bring myself to see that show again for fear of taking something away from that memory.
16) The two major pursuits of the first half of my life were acting and horseback riding. Eventually, I acted professionally but riding was for love.
17) I miss horseback riding more than I miss acting.
18) I didn’t go to my senior ball in high school.
19) My cat is obese. There’s nothing I can do about this. She’s on prescription food to prevent bladder stones and it makes her really fat.
20) I once spent almost $2000 on bladder-stone-removal surgery for my cat.
21) I will stubbornly to refuse to read any book or see any movie if someone recommends it to me using the phrase “You have to read/see…”. That’s why I’ve never read The Hitchhiker’s Guide To The Galaxy or seen any of the Harry Potter movies.
22) I lived in San Diego County for a year but never made it to Mexico even though Tijuana was only 25 miles away from my apartment.
23) The idea of sushi grosses me out and I won’t eat it.
24) I’m really enjoying the @MayorEmanuel Twitter feed and hope it doesn’t disappear when after Rahm Emanuel is done running for Mayor of Chicago.
25) I still have a crush on Henry Rollins.
Love the Twitter feed. Absolutely funny. I also put some makeup on when all I plan to do is sit around all day. I don’t want to scare anyone. Sorry about your fat cat. What we do for our pets is kindof amazing. All for unconditional love and no talking back.
I also spent over $2000 removing bladder stones from my dog. I get that.
Also this was a great list! I don’t agree with everything but I so love that you wrote it! (PS U2’s Joshua Tree is one of my all time favorite albums please don’t stop talking to me)
I can totally relate to 2, 11, and paying for the cat to have bladder stones removed. I’d like to say our cat is obese because of the bladder food, but he was obese before that. As far as I’m concerned, you are missing nothing by not reading “The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy”. I tried to read it because my husband loved it. I couldn’t make it far and kept trying.
I LOVE this.
I got all jumping up and down about not liking U2 and not wanting to put laundry away. It was like I was 14 years old screaming “Me too! Ohmahgod!”
I think I need you to do this one on a regular basis.
I used to refuse to eat sushi, until I saw some young kids eating it and they weren’t pulling funny faces or crying about it… so I thought I’d give it a go. It was hard… but I now get sushi!
Of course you don’t HAVE to read “The Hitchhiker’s Guide To The Galaxy”…..But I bet you would enjoy it.