Well, this is an intriguing prompt from Mama Kat.
1.) The Love List. Write a list of 50 things you look for in a man.
I’m going to start with the basics that I looked for when I was 23 and started dating after being dumped by breaking up with my college boyfriend.
3) Old enough to buy beer
4) Gainfully employed
5) Does not live with parents
6) Has own mode of transportation
7) Taller than me when I’m in heels
I’m not sure if I had low standards back then or if I was just really egalitarian in my tastes. I suppose it could be argued that I’m a height-ist over number 7 but I created these criteria after dating a guy who was 2 inches shorter than me when I’m barefoot and found it made for awkward cuddling. Anyway, I’ve added to the list since then. So let’s get down to it. These are in no particular order. Except that I decided fidelity should really be higher on the list than not liking Michigan. But hating Michigan is pretty important.
8) Never, ever, ever cheats
9) Not a Michigan football fan
10) Not my political diametric opposite
11) Not racist
12) Not homophobic
13) Generally not a douche when it comes to judging people on anything other than merit
14) Enjoys staying in as much as going out
15) Knows different things than I know
16) Enjoys travel
17) Enjoys theatre
18) Enjoys visiting museums
19) Makes me laugh
20) Laughs with me
21) Doesn’t laugh at me…much
22) Laughs when Michigan loses to teams like Appalachian State (Yeah, Michigan, we remember that)
23) Tolerates my loud, opinionated family with good grace and humor
24) Puts up with my fat, demanding cat
25) Doesn’t judge me for not wanting anything to do with sushi
26) Accepts that I sometimes cry over movies. And tv shows. And commercials.
27) Accepts that I have a long-standing crush on Henry Rollins
28) Takes interest in current events
29) Knows how to cook, clean and do laundry
30) Doesn’t expect me to do 100% of cooking cleaning and laundry
31) Roots for Ohio State over Michigan 100% of the time
32) Loves my friends or pretends to
33) Doesn’t mind that I sometimes sing show tunes
34) Isn’t a chronic complainer
35) Tolerates sitting in traffic without getting apoplectic
36) Willing to try new activities
37) Open to learning new things
41) Not sympathetic to Michigan when they lose to Ohio State
42) Dreams big but realistic
44) Doesn’t make me go camping
45) Is a partner in my life, not an observer of my life
46) Likes kissing
47) Holds my hand on airplanes
48) Holds my hand if the score is close during the Ohio State-Michigan game
49) Values family
50) Values me
Note: This list describes my husband, a man who may or may not have married me because I took him to his first game at the ‘Shoe where we watched Ohio State beat Michigan, to a T. I’m a lucky, lucky, Ohio State Fan girl.